Sunday, November 11, 2012

Egg Nog Recipe

In leu of the coming holidays I've been craving egg nog.  I found a recipe online and "healthified" it to my liking and it's become my new addiction...not just because it has rum in it, but because I grew up loving egg nog and hate all the white sugar and processed junk in the stuff they sell in the store.


Egg Nog

4 raw pasture raised eggs
2 cups raw milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
1-2 ounces dark rum
1 tsp. nutmeg

First off, as this recipe has RAW eggs you can follow Alton Brown's safety suggestions in his recipe or, as Jordan Rubin suggests, just wash the shells with hot soapy water.  The shells supposedly where any bacteria dwell.  After washing them, separate the egg whites from the yolks.

Whip the egg whites.  I do this with our stand mixer in its smaller bowl.  While it's whipping, beat the yolks in a separate bowl then add the milk, cream, syrup, rum and nutmeg.  Beat until combined.  When the egg whites form stiff peaks add them into the egg/milk mixture with a whisk.  This makes it ubber frothy.  Add more syrup (and rum) to taste.

With just 1 ounce rum this egg nog tastes a lot like the stuff I remember growing up with that my mom bought off the shelf...but it's fresh and not processed!  Not much guilt and a rich, creamy delight I think I make have to make year round.

No comments: