Saturday, April 30, 2011

Lead Me




This video moved me to tears today...I feel most days I'm failing as a parent.  Yes, my kids are still alive and well, they give us hugs and kisses, tell us they love us...but I still find myself getting easily angered.  I read what the Bible says about love...

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails."
1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

...and know I'm falling so short.  Patient, that's almost laughable...kind, I don't feel like I am when I'm disciplining them...is not self-seeking, oh Lord how selfish I am!...

I'm so glad their outcome isn't entirely up to me and that God didn't wait until we reached perfection to give us kids.  They can be such a hand full most times that it's hard to step out of the silly circumstances and see them as God sees them. 

I guess more and more I'm seeing them as the mirrors they are.  Before kids we can see how others are parenting "wrong", how they're "screwing up their kids", and can swear our kids will never act a certain way because we'll be raising them differently.  Then we have kids and instead of them reflecting our perfect parenting skills, they reflect our selfishness, our quirks, our bad habits, our thoughtless words...

Lord, thank you for our kids and the gift of motherhood.  Thank you that I'm not doing this alone.  Help me use the moments I feel like a failure to learn and grow in You.  Give me supernatural peace and joy throughout my day that I can reflect into their lives...and most of all, give me Your love for them.  Thank you that we could never live up to the love You have for them and us...let that sink into our hearts.  Help me give them back to you daily and help me take every opportunity to show them You.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

I love this song (though I've never seen the video). Each time I hear it I think of young families I know. We can't do it alone--life, parenting, marriage. With God's help all things are possible. Keep doing the best you can. God will guide you.