Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Nourshing Traditions

I finally made the commitment and went out and bought the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. It's a cookbook that uses healthy recipes based on the research of Weston Price. This guy went out and studied native people prior to western contamination.  It's amazing how lack of the processed foods most of us eat can fend off all sorts of health issues, including cavities!  Most of these recipes are delicious!! (I say most because I've become used to some of the recipes I already have.)  Aside from the below recipes, I've used her recipes to made raw whole milk into whey and cream cheese, all-raw cheesecake, leg of lamb, left over leg of lamb soup, and more.  As a side note, I just love using organic extra virgin coconut oil (OEVCO) with all things sweet!  She mentions the health benefits of OEVCO, but doesn't specifically call for it in recipes, except the baby formula, which is WAY closer to mama's milk and any packaged formula out there!

Breakfast porridge

Basically rolled oats fermented overnight and cooked in the morning.  I add OEVCO, crispy pecans, organic blueberries, organic blackberries, organic cream/kefir, and raw honey.  The kids love it!

Fried Mush

Sounds appetizing, eh?  To use up any left over porridge you fry a spoonful of it in oil - I used OEVCO and topped with 100% pure maple syrup.  A great snack.

Spicy Beef Stuffed Cabbage

Like a Mediterranean burrito!  I'm thinking the idea of the cabbage wraps are great for those with wheat flour allergies.

Korean Beef

Marinade thinly sliced flank steak and then BBQ it.  She notes in the recipe how the naturally fermented soy sauce in the marinade will cancel out the carcinogens from the BBQ.  A new favorite!  We served it up with some organic brown rice and BBQd onion.  Big Red makes the onions by coring them, putting some chicken bullion in them and wrapping them individually in foil, then just keeping it in the hot coals for like 1/2 hour while everything else is cooking.  I love to pour the juice from it on the rice.  A little taste of heaven!


Green Enchilada Sauce

I didn't try her enchilada recipe because it sounded way different than the recipe Red and I like.  Basically heat up the ingredients and blend - vwala! Homemade enchilada sauce!  WAY healthier than the canned stuff!


Mexican Soup/Chicken Tortilla Soup

This was actually a combination of her recipe and one from a book I have.  The broth is organic chicken broth with El Pato sauce, organic onion, red chili flakes, and organic diced fire tomatoes from Trader Joes.  (I'm sure carrots and squash would be yummy in it as well!)  Garnished with organic green onions, avocado, cultured sour cream, and organic blue tortilla chips! 

Fried Banana

Have any over ripe bananas and not up for banana bread?  Try this recipe out!  Fry it (I prefer in coconut oil) with some sweet seasonings and add cream, fresh mint, and organic blueberries for garnish.


Brown Rice Pudding

A great way to use up any left over brown rice!  It's a lot like bread pudding with the raisins and pecans.  Yum!  Great for those who can't have bread.

*A quick tip I've learned:  If you have a Costco card they have a huge case of organic blueberries.  I bought some and put them in the freezer.  Frozen ones are the best way to make blueberry pancakes!  They're also great for throwing in the porridge and other dishes!

2 comments:

Ballewbear said...

This may be a silly question, but can i get your recipe to Breakfast Porridge? I know you posted what you used, but how much etc? Rob and I are doing all organic, and are starting to also go raw on alot of stuff. I have been reading TONS on how good OEVCO is for you...but havn't purchased any yet. So glad you posted this stuff!!! Ps. I don't cook often, I am learning for sure...can you also give simple instructions on that recipe too? Like maybe specify rolled oats fermented overnight...and cooked in the morning.? If not, no worries! Thanks!!

Mrs. and Mama K said...

did you see the video i posted on my article archive blog?: http://kniftybrat.blogspot.com/2010/01/coconut-oil-rocks.html. coconut oil isn't great on everything but i'm finding it's great on anything you'll want to sweeten. it can be a pain to work with depending on the weather since it's "freezing" point is like 72...