Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas Goodiness



Our goodie bags this year are stuffed with a couple new recipes.  I went to allrecipes.com and found recipes for peanut brittle (ya ya, it has corn syrup in it!) and peppermint fudge.

Since I was new to candy making I tried a couple different peanut brittle recipes.  The first was Mom's Best Peanut Brittle.  With my first batch I didn't have a proper thermometer and didn't cook it long enough so it never hardened.  BUT today my dad dropped off a deep fryer thermometer that went beyond 300 degrees and the final product resembled what I knew to be brittle.

Here are a couple pictures:


It gets a darker shade of brown as it gets closer to 300



Finished product




I don't know why it says to use a large cookie sheet when it doesn't fill it.

I also found a Microwave Oven Peanut Brittle recipe. It was WAY easier and tasted just as good, if not better (since it has more peanuts).  The big difference?  No added water and a little vanilla.

If you're gonna try a peanut brittle, here are a couple tips:
  • Make sure your thermometer goes up to 300 before starting.  I figured we had a meat thermometer, what's the difference?!  well, that only goes up to 220.
  • It took like 16 mins. to get the sugar/peanut mix up to 300 degrees.  It went a little faster  going up in temperature near 250 after dragging on at 200. 
  • Have things measured out beforehand.  This was a tip on one of the recipes that definitely helped.

The next recipe, Peppermint Chocolate Fudge, was super simple.  I used Lechera instead of the brand mentioned and, of course, it's still delicious.


Along with the new recipes we're putting in a few family favorites, including a block of Abuelita's chocolate, a candy cane, some homemade chocolate chip cookies (my grandma's recipe), pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and a kit for making holiday wassail.

Note the burnt chocolate chips cookies in the background...hence only a few in each bag...


Wassail kit: spices (1 Tbsp cloves, allspice, redhots, and 2 cinnamon sticks) in a cheesecloth, a bag of tea, and a recipe card - just add equal parts apple cider and pineapple juice!

I can't wait to share all of our homemade goodies with our friends!  WAAAY better than some expensive sweater they'll never wear, right?!

2 comments:

Lady Dorothy said...

Every bit of this looks wonderful! And such cute little bags, too!

Mrs. and Mama K said...

Thanks! I got the bags from Lakeside.com - the same ones i had for last year...