Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Not Sew Hot!

Our new van's steering wheel is black. That means that every hot day (like the past month!) after the car's been sitting in the heat, I get to burn my hands to drive. SO...I decided to venture into making a steering wheel cover. I used a long strip of fabric that I measured around the steering wheel, the thickness to cover the whole wheel, sewed some batting on the inside while making the seem, which was also the casing, used a safety pin to get the elastic through the casing, and sewed up the ends! It was a little loose so I sewed the cover together on the top arc. Vwala!!



We'll see how it works for our long trip. I'm hoping the batting doesn't make the cover slide around on the wheel. If so, I'll have to get some rubber sheet or something to attach to the batting.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Mrs. C said...

This is cute!! I think the sliding issue might depend on how tight you've made it. But it looks fine.

Zimms Zoo said...

That is so awesome. I can't wait to put up some of the things that we have made.

I need one of these for the times I have to drive the truck. I forget how hot a black steering wheel gets. Think my hubby will go for a pink one too? Did you google the pattern or just make it up?

Mrs. and Mama K said...

I made it up by measuring the steering wheel. I'm not sure if there are patterns out there. BTW - it didn't slip this week. Yeah!