Monday, March 9, 2009

Spinach Burritos

My mother-in-law made these burritos when she was staying with us after the baby. When I heard there was spinach in them I was extremely skeptical as I've never liked it frozen or canned. This is a great way to get the Vitamin K and iron in your diet without the nasty canned spinach taste! (Hint, hint for those of us not giving our babies the Vitamin K shot and still circumcising.)
  • 1 1/4 pounds hamburger
  • 1 Tbs. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
  • 1 1/4 cups chunky salsa
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican mix cheese
  • 8 medium flour tortillas, warmed

Brown hamburger in nonstick skillet over medium heat until no longer pink (10-12 minutes), stirring occasionally. Pour off fat. Add chili powder, cumin, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Stir in spinach and salsa; heat through. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Spoon about 1/2 cup mixture into center of each tortilla. Fold as a burrito. Makes 8.

I recently doubled the recipe and used extra large tortillas I got at Costco as these are great for freezing!



No comments: