Friday, January 23, 2009

It's a Boy!

Welcome Rusty!
10 lb. 6 oz.
23 1/2 inches long
Red hair!

Karrots touching the new baby

It's a boy!

Nursing Rusty after a long labor

Daddy weighing the baby

Getting measured by Christy

His head was 14-1/2" round!

Daddy dressing Rusty

All dressed!

Karrots giving Rusty a kiss

Birth Story:

I woke up at 3:22am unable to sleep because of the contractions coming. A few times I felt the baby in my back, moving. I stayed up and timed them, eventually calling Brenda, our midwife, around 5 or so. She got here two and 1/2 hours later.
Labor didn't really take off for a while. We walked around the block a number of times, taking potty breaks each time we got back to the house. One trip we met a neighbor excited to see new people, asking us when I was due. "12 days ago. Our midwife is at our house waiting for the birth." This got the bloody show really going.
I got a couple hour nap in where my body stopped the contractions.
Around 11:30 Brenda checked me and said I was 5 cm and 95% effaced.
By the evening our midwife's assistant, Christy, got here. Some time after 5pm the contractions got to a serious point where Big Red and I stayed in the bedroom alone with candles and worship music playing. The contractions really weren't that bad, though, as long as I relaxed. It was neat to let my body to what it needed and to feel it at work. Karrots was watched by her grandmas. Big Red's mom came down yesterday to ensure to make the birth.
Around 9:20 I felt the contractions really pushing the baby down. Brenda checked me and I was 10cm. I started pushing around 10:25. I don't remember feeling much pain when at this stage with Karrots, but I was definitely feeling pain with this baby...a lot! I pushed while leaning back against Big Red on the bed. I had to turn to my side once he started coming because the bed was too soft. This whole time my bag of water was intact. (MUCH different experience just because of that - I wasn't throwing up and I think it kept the contractions from hurting as much.) It wasn't until I was pushing for a while that it burst open. As he came out the midwife noticed he was posterior (face up - hence the pain). He didn't have a bruise or mark on his face from the pubic bone, though! 35 mins later, at 11pm, he was born!
Brenda mentioned that his placenta had slightly calcified in certain areas, meaning it was perfect timing for him to come.
Our mothers and our friend, Mindy, made it to the birth. They had Karrots in when the baby was seen and she got quite upset. Probably because I was groaning so loudly. They took her out, but she got to come back and see the baby be born. She was fine with that part and quite curious as to what this new baby was all about.
Rusty didn't nurse right away, but after a little break from the excitement he latched right on. Daddy got to cut his cord after it stopped pulsating. Christy got all his stats and tested his reflexes, Big Red helping with the weight, and daddy dressed him.

For those of you curious about postpartum, Brenda gave me some blue cohosh to help get the contractions going and the placenta out (at least that's what I think the reason is). A tiny bit of the membranes wouldn't come out. I only had a tiny tear that didn't get stitches, which I find humorous since he was much bigger than Karrots and I tore badly with her. I give credit to Brenda who made sure I pushed slowly with my body and supported my area.
I had quite a bit of the shakes after, but the liquid chlorophyll she gave me helped with that and the slight dizziness. I got to take a shower rather quickly after, maybe an hour after the birth since we had the nursing, measuring, bonding time.

Today I'm up and about. I didn't get much sleep. I was exhausted when everyone was there and once the lights went out I couldn't sleep. The baby nursed throughout the night it felt like. I did get up a couple times at night by myself to use the restroom. Today I took another shower and am up on the computer!

Posted by Picasa


Birthkeeper said...

Goodness you're fast lady! LOL

It was an honor to be there. You did such an awesome job, and Cristian is absolutely adorable!

And it was awesome to see you be initiated into the 10 lb and over club! Hehehe. ;)

Hugs to you!

Katy Lin :) said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! how exciting! i loved reading your birthing story, too! thanks for sharing!

Mrs. C said...

CONGRATS!!!!! He's a precious!

Gombojav Tribe said...

Congratulations to the whole family! Yea!!! We are so proud of you!

Gombojav Tribe said...

btw, it's liquid chlorophyl, not chlorphorm. ;-)

Us* said...

Thank you for keeping us all up on your saga via text all week. It was so much to pray and wait in anticipation for Cristian! I would get up in the middle of the nights/mornings and hear my phone beeping. :-)

SOOOO GLAD this experience was better than your last! We knew it would be! (Isn't Brenda the best?!)

Thank you for being so ambitious and posting pics asap. We've been waiting!

Love all four of you!!!!!!

The Correas

Melanie said...

Congratulations! Awesome story; thanks for sharing!

Zimms Zoo said...

WOW! What an awesome birth story. He is super cute. Looks a lot like his sister.

How fun to have a boy now too! I love the pictures.

Susan Cape said...

Great job Heather!! I am so excited you enjoyed your birth experience.

Leona said...

Congratulations on your new baby boy! I stumbled over to your blog from Dajas blog, I saw it on her side bar and had to come see a new baby boy:) HOW FUN! I then realized that we met breifly at Deigo Correas birthday party..
Your little girl is SO darling, AND now a little boy so cute! AGAIN congrates!

Flo Oakes said...

Um...are you JOKING me with the 10 pounds 6 ounces???!!!!
That's insane/awesome. Haha.
LOVE hearing those homebirth stories!