Tuesday, March 25, 2008

New Food: Honey Banana Bread, 7 Layer Salad & Corned Beef


I've been experimenting with the bread machine. Here's one of the most recent tries:

Honey Banana Whole Wheat Bread
(makes 2 lbs.)
2/3 cups warm water
1-1/2 Tbl. butter or veggie oil
1/4 cup honey
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/2 cup bread flour
1 banana, sliced
2 tsp. poppy seeds
2 tsp. active dry yeast

For all the recipes I've made I substitute the wheat flour for the bread flour. Here's a shot of the grains:






I also got a great recipe for a layered salad! Yum!

Seven Layered Salad
1/2 head of lettuce
big handful of frozen peas (I used peas and carrots)
1/3 cup onion
6 slices of bacon, crumbled
2 stalks of celery
cheese
mayonaise

The only order for the layers that matter is that the lettuce should be by the frozen peas (it keeps it crisp!) and the mayonaise is on the top as a seal (seals in the freshness!). My friend, Diana, who gave me the recipe, recommends making is at least a few hours prior to eating and chilling it in the fridge.


Yesterday was a first for me! Big Red's been requesting Corned Beef and we hadn't been able to find it until yesterday. (Thank you Food 4 Less!!) I don't remember every having it growing up so I had no clue what it was until I looked it up!

The tip I received from my aunt was to cook it in the crock pot in apple juice instead of water. I used Gala Apple juice from Trader Joes. It was delicious! Very sweet! It tasted like Thanksgiving spices.




2 comments:

Zimms Zoo said...

I am making a salad very similar today. YOu crumble cornbread in the bottom. then lots of chopped veggies, like tomato, bell pepper, corn, cheese, and definitely the extremely healthy bacon, and then you put the mayo stuff on top.
It feeds a crowd and since we feeding 9 kids and 4 adults today I figured I needed something somewhat healthy and big.

My DH's grandma used to bring that salad you made to every thnaksgiving. I miss her bringing it, as she is getting to feeble to make it :(

Mrs. and Mama Knifton said...

Sounds yummy!

No one's taken of the roll of making the salad for his grandma?