Thursday, August 2, 2007

Midwife Appointment - Week 37...

First of all, I'd like to thank all of you who have left me comments. It's great knowing that there are people who sympathize with me and who care. I've been doing pretty well most of the time. Yesterday I had a hard time with getting cramps in my inner thighs just by standing up. They seem to come out of nowhere. The baby also seemed to be practising his karate moves on all of my organs within reach...not comfortable. Last night I actually felt a few contractions. They were extremely faint, but I could tell what they were. Praise God He's preparing us for birth this way!

Anyway, we got to Simona's and I peed in my Dixie cup and weighed myself. I'm at 144 lbs. To get an idea of how much I've gained - I was 115 when we got married. Almost everyone has commented that it's all belly as it's hard to tell I'm pregnant from behind. Hopefully EVERY pregnancy will be this way!

The midwife-in-training did my regular exams - blood pressure, fondus, and baby's heart beat. In measuring the heart beat she said it was perfect. She also felt around my belly and noted that the placenta is on the left side and she could feel the baby's legs on the right and that the baby is head down.

Simona gave me a pelvic exam and said I probably won't be having the baby within the next 2 weeks. Of course, there's always a chance I could, but my cervix isn't at all dilated. Both her and the midwife-in-training measured my fondus to be 35cm, which is the same it was at two weeks ago. I noticed that baby started moving down just before the last appointment so it's possible it's due to him engaging. I, of course, also had to mention that the measurement contradicted what the perintologist said would happen.

While in the exam room we talked a bit. We let her know that Big Red and I decided to give the baby the eye ointment. In our last visit she mentioned it would be given an hour after birth so my thoughts are that we'll be fine with bonding. Plus, who knows what's in the tap water and tub and, as Simona mentions, if I'll poop in the water.

For pediatricians Big Red and I decided to go with my old pediatrician...at least until we get tired of the drive and want to find someone closer. (Who knows? Maybe we'll move to Whittier since that's where all of our huge life changes seem to be happening!) She's out in La Habra and I already called and found out she doesn't do circumcision so we asked if we could use the doctor Simona is under. We'll be seeing him this coming Tues. simply to get to know him just in case. If anything goes awry (which, God willing, it won't!) he will be the one to perform any surgery. It'll also be nice to meet the person that Simona is practising under. I think she wants him to review our folder to see if he'd stick with our old due date.

We went to the birth room and got to run through the birthing tub routine as well, which I found to be an exciting surprise. She showed me how I'd get in, let me know I can sit however while in labor, what position I'd use for posterior, the squatting position for birth, how'd I get out, etc. Right after the baby's born she'll place him on my tummy and let me breastfeed a bit, then pass the baby off to my hubby for some skin-to-skin contact until I labored the placenta and got out of the water. From there we'll go to the exam room and check for tears, then spend time in bed bonding with the baby and breastfeeding. She'll give us plenty of bonding time before she weighs and measures the baby.

We also went over what to bring. She mentioned not to bring the whole house and to ensure we have juice as I'll need the sugar in labor. We already bought a couple Fuze drinks - Peach Mango and Banana Colada. They're full of vitamins and taste scrumptious!

We scheduled an appointment for the Tues. after next (which shows just how concerned Simona is about this baby coming any moment - not happening). We also paid off our bill. It's a nice feeling that we won't have to worry about it while I'm in labor.

She recommended taking red raspberry capsules to help tone my uterus in preparation for labor. She said it's supposed to help make the contractions more efficient. She's recommending the dosage based on my Aug. 22 due date so I'll be taking 2 capsules, 3 times daily, and adding another capsule every week. I'm also taking the Evening Primrose still.

So, now we wait...

1 comment:

Gombojav Tribe said...

I'm glad Simona has you on the red raspberry. My midwife has me taking it throughout pregnancy, too.

So, did the doctor agree to an 8th day circumcision in the office? Be sure to ask all the details. You don't want to be scrambling at the last minute.

If you don't mind me asking, what does he charge? I've been going to Bakersfield every time to have it done.