Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Jeremiah 17:21-23

Thus says the Lord: "Take heed to yourselves, and bear no burden on the Sabbath day, nor bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem; nor carry a burden out of your houses on the Sabbath day, nor do any work, but hallow the Sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers. But they did not obey nor incline their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear nor receive instruction.

Some thought:
Why is it so hard to "bear no burden"? Why do we feel like we have to continually DO something when all God wants is for us to sit and spend time with Him? You'd think it would be easy to lay our burdens down.

According to this, if we continue to bear our burdens, we make our necks stiff and we can't hear or receive His instruction for our life. Hmm...When your neck is stiff, you can only see the way in which you are going - you can't walk and see what you're leaving behind. If you want to check out what's behind you, you have to stop and move your entire body in that direction. This would be terrible if you were going down a dangerous path as it would be impossible to see things being thrown in your direction. You'd also be ignorant to any wrong turn as you are less likely to turn completely around to see if you made the right choice or read the sign right.

That's how it is in my walk. When I get stiff necked I stop following God, pick up my load, and get ahead of Him, thinking I know what's best. The problem is that I can't see that I'm going in the wrong direction. Then I get blind-sided by different trials. Eventually I finally swallow my pride and stop to turn and check, but the whole time I've been carrying my burdens alone - and it was MY choice to.

Lord, teach me to bear no burden, to lay it all at Your feet. I understand the concept, but so often forget HOW to. Pry my fingers open when I refuse to let go and send me warnings when I choose the wrong path or when I forget I'm not in this alone.

No comments: