Wednesday, May 30, 2007

TMI!

Some of you probably will think this is "too much information"...if that's you, don't read this.

About a month ago I was having some rectal bleeding, more than likely caused by hard stool that had scraped me and/or hemmroids. We went to my midwife and let her know and she gave me a couple prescriptions, one suppository and one cream.

The suppository, Hydrocortizone Acetate, helped immensely! I used it a few days until I felt better.

I hadn't had to use the cream, Hydrocortizone cream (Proctosol), until a few days ago. Before using it I decided I'd read the little paper inside the box that gives you instructions, warnings, etc. The Pregnancy Category C section states:

Corticosteroids are generally teratogenic in laboratory animals when
administered systemically at relatively low dosage levels. The more potent
corticosteroids have been shown to be teratogenci after dermal application in
laboratory animals. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in
pregnant women on teratogenic effects from topically applied
corticosteroids. Therefore, topical corticosteroids should be used
during pregnancy only if the
potential benefit justifies the potential
risk to the fetus....

First of all - WHAT?! Potential risk to the fetus? Why did Simona prescribe this without knowing for sure the risks and letting me know?! I threw the cream away instantly. (In writing this I realized the suppository is the same drug...without the handy paper insert that tells me the risks...those are out!)

Anyway, now I've had diahrrea, which I think is why my booty's been a little sore. I first thought it was the hemrroids moving out, so I thought I'd try some Traumeel on it. BAD idea! I've always thought hemrroids were bumps of irritation and flamation, but once I put the Traumeel on the area it burned like no tomorrow! So, I changed my technique. We went out and bought Lansinoh and I tried that. Within a couple days I've been sitting on clouds!

I wish my body would just make up its mind! I didn't change my diet or exercises, yet my stool has changed. Don't get me wrong - I'd rather have this than bleeding, but it seems to be dehydrating me a bit as I can't get enough water. I know both are normal in pregnancy, it's just strange to think my body reacts BOTH ways.

Sorry if this blog is disgusting to some, but it's part of the pregnancy and I'd rather share EVERYTHING so others know what to expect.

1 comment:

Gombojav Tribe said...

Shonda Parker makes some products for hemmroids that are herbal and have no side effects or warnings. And they work WONDERFULLY! You should buy some now, because if you have hemmroids now, after birth you probably will have some to deal with.

And there are good natural ways to deal with diahhrea. I wouldn't necessarily take Immodium. Your body is trying to get rid of stuff that shouldn't be there. Tricking it into keeping it isn't always such a great idea. You can naturally restore intestinal flora.