Thursday, May 31, 2007

Midwife Appointment

As I already posted, this appointment was originally for blood work and to get the Rhogam shot. Instead, we signed off on it. She explained the ultrasound she wants a little more clear stating it will be a level 2 ultrasound to check details. I'm not 100% sure I want one, but if I decide not to have it, I can always tell her in 2 weeks.

I peed in my little dixie cup and tested my sugar and protein and then weighed myself. I've gained 8 lbs. since my last appointment! I see that as a definite positive. Simona was a little shocked since I only gained 1 lb. between our last appointments.

I mentioned having diahrrea and after I told her we'd been to Mexico she simply told me to take some Imodium AD and it should work right away. She said she's only concerned because of dehydration.

When I asked her about the warning on the hemmroid cream she said they're just covering themselves and it's a warning for those in early stages of pregnancy, that I'd be okay.

Big Red asked about birthing positions here and Simona mentioned that if we have the water birth that it would be squatting. Most births there are squatting or standing and you can't really stand in the water for it to be effective (as it doesn't go up that high).

We brought the Hypnobirthing book back and she insisted we could keep it until we were done with it. She asked what we thought...I think the lady's a little nuts since we don't believe in the whole goddess perspective. She understood and recommended reading the techniques as we may still be able to get something positive out of it.

At the end of the appointment she copied some literature on Rh for us so that she knows we the information we need to make our decision. She didn't copy the deformed pictures because she said she doesn't want to scare us into making a decision. (Thank you!)

I also got to ask her a question on blood testing right after the baby's born. She said they'll take my blood and some blood from the umbillical cord and send it to the lab across the street. That was a relief for me as I wanted the baby's blood work to come from the umbillical cord since there's no reason to prick our precious gift.

All-in-all it was a positive trip. I didn't feel pressured into the Rh decision and I know she's just looking out for our well-being and making sure we're informed. Our next appointment (every two weeks now!) is to schedule the ultrasound. It'll be done at Whittier Pres, which is where I had my knee surgery in high school. Other than that, everything is perfectly healthy and in God's hands!

No comments: