Friday, April 27, 2007

Juror 3357

I got a summons in the mail a while ago for jury duty. My first thought, like many who receive such mail, was, "how can I get out of this?" Let's see...
"I'm pregnant!"
and if that doesn't work, describe what comes with it..."I have to pee every 5 seconds and eat all the time, which would disturb the court..."
"I've got so many hormones running through me that I can't make a non-emotional decision" (and then start crying...)

So, time went by and I decided I'd just grin and bare it and hope I wouldn't be called in. All week I called (except for Thurs. - oops!) and I didn't have to report...until today. They WOULD pick Friday! They recording told me to dress business casual. After finding out I thought of wearing the grungiest clothes claiming "YOU try to find something nice when you gain so much weight so fast!"...but thought better of it.

I got up this morning a little early and got ready so I'd be on time. (The court was out in Norwalk.) The whole way there I still had the hope that they'd see my belly and simply state I could go home. That didn't happen...

On the way there I started thinking about what jury duty was. It gave the juror a chance to make a difference in some one's life. So, I decided I would go through the process and pray God would help me make a difference. I still had a secret hope the pregnancy would delay my first jury experience, and then thought how rude it would be for them to deny me just for being pregnant! Ironic...

I got there a little early and waited...and waited...and waited. As I didn't have my cell phone (it has a camera and they're not allowed in the court building) I had no idea what time it was, so it felt forever. FINALLY, some random recording starts, telling those who are claiming financial hardship to fill out some form and where everyone else was to go for orientation.

I followed the crowd and got my papers and badge carrier and sat down. The recording played twice. Eventually, some time around 9, I think, a lady came on and explained that things were slow because she was the only one there and it usually takes 3 people to run the juror processing. She urged us to be patient and not hate her.

After a few minutes she came out and explained the paper work. We all got our summons and survey turned in and waited for her to call the judge to see what's going on. She came back and said he had 20 cases to review before he could come.

So I made sure my day off wouldn't be wasted and I grabbed a puzzle! The place had oodles of them along with Scrabble, Monopoly, cards, etc. If you know me at all, you know my obsession. I sat there and put it together thinking, "If Big Red only knew what I was doing he would be cracking up!"

This went on for a few hours and then some time between 11:30 and 12pm the lady came back and told us we could take an early lunch. Score! I went out to the car and grabbed the lunch I'd packed. (When I packed it I pictured eating it at work after they told my fat booty to go home.) I was the only one who brought food! Figures...being pregnant and all. Everyone else ate out, which they had plenty of time to do as the court's typical lunch is 12-1:30pm. Talk about spoiled!

My entire day was spent doing a puzzle and reading. Oh! And listening to people's conversations. There was a table of guys talking about what line of work they're in, where they live, what they like to do, and complaining they could be doing something better. It sounded somewhat like an ego contest at times. Another table at older ladies and one lady kept talking about her kids and grand kids. Typical mom, I guess.

3:30 rolls around and we hear another lady telling us that they found out we would not be needed. She said something to the effect of "the case you were here for didn't need a jury." THE case! One! All 80+ of us for one case...

So after roll call we returned out badges and were one our way.

I guess the day wasn't a complete loss...I didn't finish the puzzle, but at least I wasn't working!

1 comment:

Gombojav Tribe said...

I thought through all that you were going to say that they picked you! I was prepared to be very sorry for you! :-)